Thursday 9 January 2014

BRRRRR....THINKING ABOUT NORTH AMERICA ...


Standing in temperatures well below freezing, the 30ft structures have been transformed into giant icicles.
These stunning photographs were captured by American photographer Thomas Zakowski, 56, on a trip to two cities in Michigan after a storm battered the state.

Mr. Zakowski, from South Bend, Indiana, said, ‘The lighthouses were frozen solid by the waves that came crashing down against the pier.’

'What made the photograph of one of them so interesting was the fact that the storm was so intense it uplifted the anchors of the scaffolding which had been left there after painting.'

'It looks like a stairway in many ways and added a quality to the scene you will never see again.'

Every year, Thomas makes the trip to St Joseph and South Haven, both cities in Michigan, after a big storm to capture the resulting scenes.

He said, ‘Depending on the year, the lighthouses can remain freezing for over a month, but it all depends on the weather.

'Every year it's different, but it's an event I look forward to very much. To get there was a little tricky, as first you have to make your way out on the pier.

'It's like walking on an ice skating rink and at one point I have to duck walk past the first building in order to safely get to what I call the prize.

'Even though my photographs attract a lot of positive attention, that's not the main reason why I do it. I simply make the trek out there because the particular area fascinates me.'

More than half of the continental U.S. was in the grip of a ‘polar vortex’ that has sent temperatures plunging to their coldest level in nearly 20 years.

As many as 140 million Americans were bracing themselves for dangerously cold week, with some cities expecting temperatures of between -30º C to -50º C.

Message from Munguin: 

Stay warm Danny. I am going to send you a pair of gloves that I found lying around. I'm sure Tris never uses them any more. I don't want your hands getting so cold you can't write for me. 

Signed Munguin.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like my back-garden in mid-July! Tremendous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that's because that is where I took them, when you pretended to be out that day I came to see you.

      I wasn't going to stay long... only a few weeks... Dunno why you hid...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I guess that's a phrase we'll have to stop using...

      Delete
  3. To: Penthouse Suite
    Munguin Towers
    Dundee

    Mr. Munguin:

    I'm in recept of the warm gloves you kindly sent. Many thanks!
    Very useful in sub zero temperature. (Sub zero Fahrenheit = WAY sub zero Celsius.)

    I didn't actually know that Hell was located in Michigan, but it was indeed news when it froze over. The Lake Michigan lighthouses are picturesque year round, but when the arctic temperatures and winter storms strike the Great Lakes, the lighthouses become ice sculptures from the crashing waves. "Lake Michigan Lighthouses" is a nice search on Google Images.

    The trick of throwing a pot of boiling water into the air which instantly transforms to snow and floats away is impressive. But it requires a temperature of about -25 Fahrenheit. Thankfully, Missouri didn't get quite that cold. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the Office of the Proprietor:

      We were pleased that our gift of gloves that tris no longer needed for found to be useful.

      We didn't want to have to sack you for slacking if you got Frostbite.

      We were sure that Hell was somewhere in the UK, probably Westminster.

      We are gad to hear that the temperatures aren't too bad.

      A tip I once heard to keep warm, and I insist upon it for all my staff (to keep heating costs down) run of the spot while you are working. It does wonders for those who are a little , shall we say, podgy.

      Kindest Regards

      Munguin
      Signed by a Peon.

      Delete